Brief intervention for alcohol misuse training
“having a word” at the right time – can be effective in making people reconsider their drinking behaviour and cut their alcohol intake significantly.
Alcohol consumption has increased by almost 20% in the last 30 years and alcohol-related conditions cost the NHS over £2.7bn annually. Lost productivity due to alcohol use costs the UK economy more than £7bn each year with an estimated 167,000 working years lost.
The cost to Calderdale health services and employers is significant.
In Calderdale, it is estimated that there are:
- 103,277 Low risk drinkers
- 27,749 Increasing risk drinkers
- 9,049 Higher risk drinkers
- 2,500 Dependent drinkers
Of these, there would be:
- 32,637 Binge Drinkers
Alcohol features in approximately 50% of Child in Need assessments in Calderdale.
So how do you “have a word”?
A brief intervention is a structured conversation between a health care professional/employer and a client/employee. They are designed to motivate the individual to change their drinking behaviour. This free training course is aimed at anyone, especially those who work with adults or families or who work in human resources.
Covered in this course
- Facts about alcohol, myths, units and safe limits
- The physical effects of alcohol both short term and long term
- Definitions such as binge drinking, high risk and dependency
- Brief Interventions
- Support available and how to refer to local services
- Useful tools and resources to support training
Planned Learning Outcomes
- Boost skills and confidence in talking with service users about alcohol use
- Recognise the effects of alcohol use and the impact on health;
- Tailor advice and use an evidence based-screening tool to identify problematic alcohol use in your role;
- Apply simple tools that may trigger change;
- Identify relevant support services in Calderdale.
Book Your Place for any of the following dates:
- 19th May 2021
- 14th July 2021
- 15th September 2021
- 13th October 2021
- 17th November 2021
- 17th March 2022
For those who work with or provide a service for children, young people, their families and adults at risk or in need of support services in Calderdale you can register directly on the “Enable” platform: https://calderdalescp.vc-enable.co.uk/register
If you would like us to run a session for your management teams at your business premises, please get in touch via our Contact Us form and we will be happy to arrange this for you.